Do you use quantitative research methods like surveys? Quantitative research is necessary within the world of UX. This type of research is focused on numbers of responses to provide statistical significance, and consists of popular methods like surveys and analytics within UX.
Quantitative vs qualitative research in UX
Quantitative research results provides hard data in large numbers – it gives you the what. What are users doing? What are the problems with your website?
Qualitative research, on the other hand, is focussed on revealing insights on the why. Why are users behaving in a certain way? Why they are motivated to complete their goal? Qualitative research takes the form of interviews conducted by a professional UX researcher that provides rich data. This data often needs the analysis and interpretation of a UX specialist to uncover the psychological and behaviour insights that are key to making effective changes to your UX designs.
Quantitative research confirms you have a specific problem.
Qualitative research tells you why you have the problem.
The UX expert tells you what you need to change within your design(s) to resolve the problem.
Problems UXers have with surveys
A survey conducted with 429 UX professionals by the NNGroup found that many UXers aren’t conducting as many surveys as they’d like. They gave the following reasons:
- Quantitative research is too expensive
- Quantitative research is too time-consuming
- Difficulty recruiting enough participants for large sample sizes
- Lack of knowledge on the team about how to conduct or analyze quantitative research
- Lack of knowledge on the team about what quantitative research is, when to use it, or what the methodologies are
- Lack of understanding of the value of quantitative research
- Lack of understanding of the value of research in general — not just quantitative research
- Difficulty interpreting or reporting quantitative research findings
If any of the above resonate with you and your team, then firstly, you’re not alone, and secondly, we would highly recommend getting in touch with us.
We will advise and help wherever you need it. We can also provide a reasonably priced full end to end survey service to take the whole process off your hands.
To recruit users to take part in surveys, you need access to what’s called a panel. Did you know that our sister company, I Need Users, has a huge panel that you can access?
- Completions from a huge UK wide panel, including Ireland.
- Quick turnaround. Get hundreds of completions within a matter of days.
- Niche participants available.
- Very reasonable pricing.
- FREE replacements of dropouts.
- Help linking your survey to our panel (don’t worry, it’s easy!).
I Need Users was created by the founders of Keep It Usable, to provide a higher quality, more reliable participant recruitment service to UX professionals. All of our businesses are focussed on giving you the best possible service.